[Numpy-discussion] Help!!! Docstrings overrun by markup crap.

Sun Mar 21 09:01:29 CDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Alan G Isaac <aisaac@american.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 3/21/2010 12:54 AM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
>> > too many blank lines are needed
>>
>> Please define "need" after seeing the compact example I posted.
>>
>> You need 4 blank lines in your example. Now I tried adding a description
> for the first argument (q) like this:
>
> q, r if mode = 'full' :
>    - q : ndarray of float or complex, shape (M, K)
>          Description of `q`.
>
>    - r : ndarray of float or complex, shape (K, N)
>
> That doesn't work, you need yet more blank lines (try this in the wiki
> editor).
>

> I just changed the docstring to the following, looks much better in both
> plain text and html imho:
>

> q : ndarray of float or complex, optional
>     The orthonormal matrix, of shape (M, K). Only returned if
>     ``mode='full'``.
> r : ndarray of float or complex, optional
>     The upper-triangular matrix, of shape (K, N) with K = min(M, N).
>     Only returned when ``mode='full'`` or ``mode='r'``.
> a2 : ndarray of float or complex, optional
>     Array of shape (M, N), only returned when ``mode='economic``'.
>     The  diagonal and the upper triangle of `a2` contains `r`, while
>     the rest of the matrix is undefined.

This line in the code is fairly amusing by the way:
#  economic mode. Isn't actually economic.

Economic mode is very similar to 'r' mode anyway, what's the point?

Ralf