[Numpy-discussion] StringIO test failure with Python3.1.2

Wed Mar 24 11:26:44 CDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> ke, 2010-03-24 kello 09:20 -0600, Charles R Harris kirjoitti:
>> > What would be the best fix? Should we rename io to something like
>> > npyio?
>>
>> That, or:
>>
>> Disable import conversions in tools/py3tool.py for that particular file,
>> and fix any import errors manually so that the same code works both for
>> Python 2 and Python 3. Actually, I suspect there are no import errors,
>> since the top-level imports in that file are already absolute.
>>

> I have some preference for the name change just to avoid shadowing a
> standard module, it makes numpy just a bit safer.

In particular, here are the current occurences of io

numpy/lib/__init__.py:from io import *
numpy/lib/tests/test__iotools.py:    from io import BytesIO
numpy/lib/tests/test_format.py:    ...     from io import BytesIO as
StringIO
numpy/lib/tests/test_format.py:    from io import BytesIO as StringIO
numpy/lib/tests/test_io.py:    from io import BytesIO

And it looks to me like that could easily get confusing since io is also a
Python module since 2.6.

<snip>

Chuck