[Numpy-discussion] draft release guide

Chris Barker Chris.Barker@noaa....
Wed Mar 24 12:41:33 CDT 2010

Francesc Alted wrote:
> Also, I have read the draft and I cannot see references to 64-bit binary
> packages.  With the advent of Windows 7 and Mac OSX Snow Leopard, 64-bit are
> way more spread than before, so they would be a great thing to deliver, IMO.

True, however the situation is a bit ugly with OS-X -- python.org does
not distribute 64 bit binaries at all, and Apple's Python is a bit weird
in that regard. Also some key libraries (anything build on Carbon , such
as wxPython) don't work on 64 bit.

That being said, a 32+64 bit build for the Apple supplied Python for
OS-X 10.6 might be nice, though a bit of a niche market.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov