[Numpy-discussion] Py3k: making a py3k compat header available in installed numpy for scipy

Mon Mar 29 09:54:21 CDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 4:13 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have worked on porting scipy to py3k, and it is mostly working. One
> thing which would be useful is to install something similar to
> npy_3kcompat.h in numpy, so that every scipy extension could share the
> compat header. Is the current python 3 compatibility header usable "in
> the wild", or will it still significantly change (this requiring a
> different, more stable one) ?

Pauli will have to weigh in here, but I think it is pretty stable and has
been for a while. The only thing I'm thinking of changing are the PyCapsule
compatibility functions; instead of having them downgrade PyCapsule to
PyCObject like behaviour, go the other way. Going the other way requires
changes to the surrounding code to handle errors, which is why Numpy doesn't
use those functions at the moment.

Chuck