[Numpy-discussion] Merging the refactor.

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Thu Nov 11 21:02:55 CST 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 7:15 AM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant@enthought.com> wrote:

> At the same time, the work on the .NET framework has pushed us to move more
> of SciPy to a Cython-generated set.   There are additional things I would
> like to see SciPy improve on as well, but I am not sure who is going to work
> on them.   If I had my dream, there would be more modularity to the
> packages, and an improved packaging system --- and of course, porting to
> Python 3k.

I don't exactly where we are there, but Pauli and me took a look at
scipy for python 3 at euroscipy in Paris, and I think it is mostly a
matter of low hanging fruits. Most (all ?) changes are in the trunk
already.

>   I would like to see core SciPy be a smaller set containing a
> few core packages.   (linear algebra, statistics, optimization,
> interpolation, signal processing, and image processing).   Then, I would
> like to see scipy.<module> packages which are released and packaged
> separately with the whole system available on github.

While I agree with the sentiment, I think it would be a mistake to do
so before we have the infrastructure to actually deliver packages and
so on. I understand there is a bit of a chicken and egg issue as well.
I spent most if not all my free time in 2010 to work on that issue,
and I will summarize the current status in a separate email to the ML
to avoid disrupting the main discussion on the refactoring,

cheers,

David