[Numpy-discussion] Merging the refactor.

Fri Nov 12 14:53:37 CST 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Jason McCampbell <jmccampbell@enthought.com
> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:24:56 -0700, Charles R Harris wrote:
>> [clip]
>> > The teoliphant repository is usually quiet on the weekends. Would it be
>> > reasonable to make github.com/numpy/numpy-refactor this weekend and ask
>> > the refactor folks to start their work there next Monday?
>>
>> Sure:
>>
>>        https://github.com/numpy/numpy-refactor
>>
>> I can re-sync/scrap it later on if needed, depending on what the
>> refactoring team wants to do with it.
>>

> I think it's even easier than that.  If someone creates an empty repository
> and adds me (user: jasonmccampbell) as a contributor I should be able to add
> it as a remote for my current repository and push it any time.

Well, Pauli already has your stuff in the new repository. Why not just clone
it and continue your work there?

> That said, it might make sense to wait a week as Ilan is working on the
> merge now.  Our plan is to create a clone of the master repository and
> create a refactoring branch off the trunk.

But that is already done. Although I don't think doing it again will be
problem.

> We can then graft on our current branch (which is not connected to the
> master trunk), do the merge, then push this new refactor branch. This keeps
> us from having a repo with both an old, un-rooted branch plus the new,
> correct refactor branch.

But it is already grafted. Unless you are thinking of making a branch in
numpy/numpy, which might be a bad idea.

> I'm open either way, just wanted to throw this out there.

Chuck