[Numpy-discussion] dtypes error in recfunctions

Benjamin Root ben.root@ou....
Mon Nov 15 16:43:02 CST 2010

Hello,

I was using append_fields() in numpy.lib.recfunctions when I discovered a
slight logic mistake in handling the dtypes argument.

The code first checks to see if dtypes is None.  If so, it then guesses the
dtype info from the input data.  Then, it goes to see if the dtypes is not a
sequence and puts it into a list.  This is where the logic breaks down.  It
then proceeds to use that dtypes to start merging the data.  However, if you
pass in a sequence of dtype, that condition gets skipped and the rest of the
function has to figure out the dtype (and ignores the supplied names as
well).

I have attached a patch to fix this.  I did not check the rest of the module
to see if this mis-logic crops up anywhere else.

Thanks,
Ben Root