[Numpy-discussion] alter_code1.py doesn't convert (any more)?

Frank Thommen structures-it@embl-heidelberg...
Wed Oct 6 04:59:13 CDT 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to help a user to migrate from Numeric - which he used up to
now - to numpy.  I found reference to alter_code1.py on
http://numpy.scipy.org/old_array_packages.html.

First I tried the conversion script:

# python2.6 /path/to/alter_code1.py test.py

and alternatively

# python2.6 /path/to/alter_code1.py ./

This didn't modify test.py at all.  Then I tried to convert from within
Python:

# python2.6
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Aug  5 2010, 14:21:11)
[GCC 4.4.4] on linux2
 >>> import numpy.numarray.alter_code1 as noa
 >>> noa.convertfile("test.py")
 >>> ^D
#

This modified test.py, but only partially.  E.g. the import line was
still untouched, meaning that it still imported Numeric instead of numpy:

# diff ../test-original.py test.py
0a1,2
 > ## Automatically adapted for numpy.numarray Oct 06, 2010 by

49c51
< 		pyfid.byteswap()
---
 > 		pyfid.byteswap(True)
74c76
< 		databin.byteswap()
---
 > 		databin.byteswap(True)
#

After I've changed 'import os, string, array, Numeric' to 'import os,
string, array, numpy' I realized, that the conversion had introduced errors:

# python2.6 ./test.py <command line parameters>
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./test.py", line 115, in <module>
     combineser3D(td3,td2,td1,ser,ser1,fidnum)
   File "./test.py", line 21, in combineser3D
     allser1=readBrukerSer(tdall,td3,ser)
   File "./test.py", line 51, in readBrukerSer
     pyfid.byteswap(True)
TypeError: byteswap() takes no arguments (1 given)
#

So either this method doesn't work (any more) or I am doing something
wrong.  The numpy version we are using is 1.4.1 with Python 2.6.2 from
python.org.

Any help regarding this is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

     frank