[Numpy-discussion] Schedule for 1.5.1?

Thu Oct 7 03:34:46 CDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Should we set a date for a bugfix 1.5.1 release? There are some bugs that
>> would be nice to sort out in the 1.5.x series:
>>
>> Any Python versions:
>>
>> - #1605 (Cython vs. PEP-3118 issue: raising exceptions with active
>>         cython buffers caused undefined behavior. Breaks Sage.)
>> - #1617 (Ensure complex(np.longcomplex(...)) doesn't drop the imag part)
>> - Fix doc build
>>
>> Python 3 specific:
>>
>> - #1604 (//-issue in distutils; infinite loop in some cases :)
>> - #1609 (dotblas was never used on Python 3)
>> - #1610 (fromfile/tofile did not stay in sync with Python 3 file handle
>>         position -- breaks e.g. scipy.io pretty badly)
>> - f2py startup script didn't run properly on Py3
>>
>> Not so many fixes so far, but I'd like to see a Numpy release with #1610
>> fixed before releasing Scipy with Python 3 support. Since 2.0.0 breaks
>> binary compatibility and merging the refactoring back may take some time,
>> it would be nice to have another 1.5.x release.
>>
>> Ralf & c, opinions? I'd maybe suggest somewhere on the Oct/Nov axis.
>>

> A 1.5.1 release soon would be good. All the issues above are already
committed, is there anything else that needs to go in? If not, I think an RC
by the end of next week (10/17) and release by the end of the month should
be possible.

The one bug that I want to have fixed is #1399, which causes build problems
for scipy on OS X.

Sounds good. I also have some stuff I'd like to add but won't have much time
> before Nov. But whatever looks good to Ralf will work for me.

Any specific issues you have in mind?

Cheers,
Ralf