[Numpy-discussion] Schedule for 1.5.1?

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Fri Oct 8 12:28:01 CDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
> Fri, 08 Oct 2010 10:48:14 -0600, Charles R Harris wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:37 AM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> [clip]
>>> Ok I remember, Pareto is actually Lomax or Pareto second kind, and
>>> should be renamed. The proposal was to rename the current pareto to
>>> pareto2 and create a new pareto that corrects location by one.
>>>
>>> In the meantime I discovered that Lomax is actually nicer to work with
>>> than Pareto one, so it's mainly a question of terminology/names and
>>> documentation. Just calling it pareto is very misleading.
>>
>> That doesn't sound like something for 1.5.1. Can you think through the
>> naming issue and open a ticket so we can start rationalizing this for
>> 2.0? I'm thinking having pareto1 and lomax, or maybe pareto1 and
>> pareto2, and deprecating plain old pareto may be the way to go.
>
> The documentation bit can be done, however, if there's a plan how to deal
> with it.

I think I clarified the doc string enough that user that read the
docstring don't get confused anymore.
http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/numpy.random.mtrand.RandomState.pareto/

At least the first part is explicit about it, the notes refer to
pareto in general or pareto 1 (formula is for pareto 1)

Josef