[Numpy-discussion] Schedule for 1.5.1?

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Fri Oct 8 12:55:53 CDT 2010

Fri, 08 Oct 2010 13:28:01 -0400, josef.pktd wrote:
[clip]
> I think I clarified the doc string enough that user that read the
> docstring don't get confused anymore.
> http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/numpy.random.mtrand.RandomState.pareto/
>
> At least the first part is explicit about it, the notes refer to pareto
> in general or pareto 1 (formula is for pareto 1)

I read this part:

"""
The classical Pareto distribution can be obtained from the Lomax
distribution by adding the location parameter m, see below. The smallest
value of the Lomax distribution is zero while for the classical Pareto
distribution it is m, where the standard Pareto distribution has location
m=1.
"""

and understood it as follows (with no prior knowledge what a Pareto
distribution is):

"""
The difference between Pareto and Lomax is that Lomax has an added
parameter `m`. The Pareto distribution is obtained from Lomax by setting
m=1.
"""

Which is of course wrong. So I think it would still pay off to rephrase
this. I'd also write down the PDF of the Lomax distribution in the Notes
to reduce confusion.

	Pauli