[Numpy-discussion] help from OS X 10.5 users wanted

Vincent Davis vincent@vincentdavis....
Sun Oct 10 23:20:01 CDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Friedrich Romstedt
<friedrichromstedt@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/10/9 Vincent Davis <vincent@vincentdavis.net>:
>> Did you get any responses on this? I can install 10.5 and help out
>> with some testing. I have a macbookpro that does not turn of (Hardware
>> issue) but it is good for testing. I could setup remote access on this
>> if of interest to you.
>
> I can also help with the installer - I have some (some) experience
> with building Mac OS X installers using the PackageMaker provided by
> Apple.  Just lacking a 10.5.  But since I need some anyway (for
> controlling a 10.5 server), Vincent, if you don't need your 10.5
> anymore, can we transfer the license in some way from you to me?  I'm
> serious, one cannot buy 10.5 from Apple anymore, and I need a legal
> license.  I have 10.6 and a VMware Fusion v3.

Let me see what I can do about getting you a license. Can you install
regular osx (not server) as a vm machine ? I have 10.5 server running
on vm.

Vincent

> When anyone can inform me how the installation scheme for numpy
> binaries is I can then provide the installers, I believe.  I strongly
> support 10.5 support, I believe we should support at least the next to
> last version.
>
> For my own installer for upy, I followed the route: Unpacking the
> package into some /private/var/tmp directory, and running setup.py
> install there (since we are root when installing).  upy is pure
> Python, no compilation.  I see so far three routes for numpy: a) just
> installing the precompiled binaries using a setup.py file, b)
> compiling in the background for the user (shouldn't be a problem on
> Mac OS X, and would give us opportunity to include support for
> complementary packages in a "binary installer".  Tough it wouldn't be
> really binary anymore.)  c) Hardcoding the /Frameworks/ directory and
> simply copying.
>
> What do we like best?
>
> Friedrich

Thanks