[Numpy-discussion] Development workflow

Joshua Holbrook josh.holbrook@gmail....
Mon Oct 11 18:56:59 CDT 2010

In projects I've worked on, most people have worked on their own
repos, continually merging in changes from other repos to keep
themselves current. I think this is generally a good approach for
development, if a bit disorganized. In addition, obviously a group of
people pushing to numpy/numpy is necessary. I would suggest core devs
keeping numpy/numpy's development branch as "deployed" code, while
starting new development on their own branches and merging them in as
they see fit.  Non-core developers can contribute by sending pull
requests.

In my opinion, I've seen a lot of people coming from SVN try to apply
SVN-style workflow to git (and presumably other dvcs's), but git and
the like (and Github!) allow for much more fine-tuned workflows in my
opinion, and I think it's a mistake to ignore that. I'm just some guy,
though, so I'm not sure my opinion has much weight.

--Josh