[Numpy-discussion] Commit rights on github

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Tue Oct 12 02:57:55 CDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:47 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now might be a good time to discuss how we'd like the history to look
>> in a year from now.  If we follow the above approach, I guess we may
>> end up with one merge message for each small little bug-fix? (Unless
>> --rebase is used)  How do we ensure that "fast-forward" merges occur
>> whenever possible?
>
> The only solution that I know of is to have a pull-like workflow, but
> I thought this was rejected as too complicated ?

My approach is normally to:

- Never merge the master branch into my development branches
- Create a branch with a clean patch history before merging back into master
- Then: merge into master, getting a fast-forward merge if possible
- Push back to github

When I have large changes that consist of several commits on a single
topic, I normally explicitly ask for a non-fast-forward merge, so that
the history is not contaminated by a whole slew of commit messages.

Regards
Stéfan