[Numpy-discussion] Commit rights on github

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Oct 12 03:06:41 CDT 2010

2010/10/12 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za>:
> - Then: merge into master, getting a fast-forward merge if possible
> - Push back to github
>
> When I have large changes that consist of several commits on a single
> topic, I normally explicitly ask for a non-fast-forward merge, so that
> the history is not contaminated by a whole slew of commit messages.

My rule of thumb is: one or two commits, fast-forward is OK, three or
more, I merge explicitly with --no-ff to make it easier to see them
together with their own little branch.

In case anyone is interested, we're having precisely this discussion
on ipython-dev (where we've been using DVCS for over 2 years and have
had ample opportunity to make every mistake under the sun, but now
we're quite happy with our workflow and just fine-tuning it):

http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-dev/2010-October/006746.html

Cheers,