[Numpy-discussion] installing different tag or branches from git source

Vincent Davis vincent@vincentdavis....
Wed Oct 13 20:48:18 CDT 2010

Ok so this is more of a git question but and I think it might be
simple I just don't get it.
Lets say I get a copy of numpy,
$git clone http://github.com/numpy/numpy.git
and now I what install the 1.4.1 release which is a "tag"
or
I want to install 1.4.x maintenance which is a "branch".

My understanding is that git clone get everything, I kinda get how I
can switch branches git checkout maintenance/1.4.x not sure about how
to do this with tags and not really sure what this actually does.

So is this right?
If I
git clone http://github.com/numpy/numpy.git
git checkout v1.4.0
I will not have release 1.4.0 source in my numpy folder?
and
git checkout maintenance/1.4.x
I will have the maintenance/1.4.x source in my numpy folder?

I got the link to
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/dev/gitwash/index.html from another
email tread but I don't think it can be found by starting at
http://www.scipy.org/Developer_Zone
How does one add a link to that page?

--
Thanks