[Numpy-discussion] Need help for the migration from Numeric to numpy

Bruce Southey bsouthey@gmail....
Thu Oct 14 13:39:33 CDT 2010

  On 10/14/2010 12:55 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:
> On 10/14/10 9:46 AM, Frank Thommen wrote:
>> We are speaking of potentially several hundred files.  It's part of the
>> scientific work of the user of the last nine years...
> Let's hope he's got some tests!
>
>> Which conversion script do you mean?  I couldn't find any conversion
>> script that works or comes close to working.
> I don't know anything you don't know -- I thought you got a script to
> work, it just didn't do the full job -- it may well have done some of
> the simple scut work, though.
>
> Anyway, hundreds of files sounds like a lot, but while it's boring work,
> it's probably less than you'd think once you get started. You'd want a
> multiple-file search and replace tool, though.
>
> -Chris

It took me a while to track it down, but there used to be a module/file
called 'convertcode.py' for conversion. It was mentioned as tip in
Travis's 'Guide to Numpy'  page 31 in Jan 6 2005 version. But the
alter_code path is in Dec 7 2006 (linked at http://docs.scipy.org/doc/).
It is advisable to read it as it address differences between Numeric and
old numpy ie section 2.6!

Travis said in the thread:
http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2006-August/010085.html
"The transition approach is to use the compatibility layer first by
running oldnumeric.alter_code1.py and then running  alter_code2.py which
will take you from the compatibility layer to NumPy  (but alter_code2 is
not completed yet)."

Bruce