[Numpy-discussion] help from OS X 10.5 users wanted

Friedrich Romstedt friedrichromstedt@gmail....
Fri Oct 15 14:53:10 CDT 2010

2010/10/15 Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker@noaa.gov>:
> On 10/15/10 10:54 AM, Russell E. Owen wrote:
>> I have a 10.4 Intel machine I keep around
>> for the sole purpose of building backward-compatible binary installers
>> for PIL and matplotlib. If help is still wanted I'm happy to build numpy
>> as well.
>
> I'll let Ralf and Friedrich and Vincent respond, but that sounds like a
> great option.

Thanks for waiting for us!  Here is our status:

Vincent is currently setting up the machine with a crucial
carbon-copy-clone, reformat, and ccc back.  This is because we had
only around 50 MB left in the end on the partition, and according to
Vincent enlarging the partition wasn't possible for some reason be
both don't know.  Well, technicalities.

We're having to set up py2.6 & py2.7, what shouldn't be an issue, and
will have to compile mpl for both of them since the build process
should not change Python version while its running, i.e., when
building the py2.6 dmg, the docs will be built using py2.6, and when
py2.5 dmg, then py2.5, that's what I mean.

Also LaTeX is needed, Russell, as you might know.  MacTeX-2010 is
about 1.6 GB download.

Here come now the interesting facts:

1)  Some tests of numpy failed in 2.0.0.dev.  When the machine is
running again I can send the logs.  All some strange-looking typecode
string tests with dtype('...') iirc.

2)  I noticed that the paver at some late point tried to switch from
py2.5 to py2.6, what is rather strange to me.  I must have a look
where precisely the build failed for this reason.  py2.6 is the
DEFAULT_PYTHON_VERSION (iirc) in pavement.py, and changing it to 2.5
fixed it.  Strange.

3)  I found no v1.5.1 tag yet (yesterday).  Will the HEAD become 1.5.1?

Here a comparison of our two systems (Russell's and our's):

*  We will have 10.4 (?), 10.5, 10.6 available on the same machine
with vpn access for everyone who wants a cert.

*  But we need time to set it up properly.  We're unwilling to do
half-baken things, so I agree that Vincent it installing 10.6 right
now (I just got the message), but time is rare this weekend.

*  So my suggestion would be, Russell, if you could do the build more
easily then we can, just feel free, I was hoping Vincent and me would
get the credits though ;-), but first it must succeed on time.
Vincent, what do you think?

*  For future, I would prefer Vincent's machine.  We have dyndns and
the machine can be dedicated for building this stuff.  If we get a
10.4, we have 10.4 to 10.6 all together on a single place, and we
could do with it whatever we feel like.

Friedrich

> And thanks for PIL and MPL, too!

Nice to meet you.  Btw, I ran into some trouble when compiling mpl on
10.5, different trouble than on 10.6, I'm planning to write it up,
it's solved, because it would be nice to have a *working* instruction
online (different from make.osx, which I dislike for its magic
approach).

Friedrich