[Numpy-discussion] Another merge at github

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Oct 16 20:23:23 CDT 2010

2010/10/16 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za>:
> The idea is not to keep merging the master branch into your
> development branch to keep up to date (this makes for really ugly
> history).
>
> For single commits, merge back into master (hopefully this should be a
> fast-forward merge), which then creates an svn-like timeline.
>
> For bunches of commits, merge back into master with the --no-ff switch
> to ensure that a merge message is generated (this makes it much easier
> to find those grouped commits later).
>
> After the merge, push back upstream.

Thanks for the summary, Stefan.

Charles, as soon as I catch a breather (I'm at a conference right now)
I'll try to write up a summary of that long discussion in an easy to
digest and follow manner, that can be useful to ipython as well as
numpy.  But Stefan's summary is spot on for the key points.

Regards,