[Numpy-discussion] Atlas build issues

David david@silveregg.co...
Wed Oct 20 02:39:09 CDT 2010

On 10/20/2010 04:23 PM, Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> I am really sorry to be landing on the mailing list with Atlas build
> issues. I usually manage be myself to build Atlas, but this time I have
> been fighting for a couple of days with little success.
>
> The reason I need to build Atlas is that our work computers are stuck on
> Mandriva 2008.0, in which the version of Atlas packaged by the system is
> not usable.
>
> Anyhow, I lost quite a while with Atlas 3.9.26, for which I was never
> able to build libaries that could be used in a '.so' (seemed that the
> -fPIC was not working, but really I don't understand what was going on in
> the maze of makefiles). After that I switched to 3.9;25, which I have
> already have gotten working on another system (Mandriva 2008, but 32
> bits). Know everything builds, but I get a missing symbol at the import:
>
> from numpy.linalg import lapack_lite
> ImportError: /volatile/varoquau/dev/numpy/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so:
> undefined symbol: zgesdd_

The two first things to check in those cases (atlas or not):

	- ldd /volatile/varoquau/dev/numpy/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so: does it
load the libraries you think are you loading ?
	- nm atlas_libraries | grep zgesdd_ for every library in atlas (I don't
know how the recent ones work, but this function should normally be in
libf77blas.so)

The way to get -fPIC everywhere used to be -Fa alg -fPIC during
configure, but that may have changed.

David