[Numpy-discussion] whitespace in git repo

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Thu Oct 21 08:26:57 CDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Friedrich Romstedt
<friedrichromstedt@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/10/21 David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>:
>> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:56 AM, Friedrich Romstedt
>> <friedrichromstedt@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You mean I'm wrong?
>>
>> Yes, the file has always used CRLF, and needs to stay that way.
>
> I see, misunderstanding, for me I used "made it" in the sense
> "succeeded in" :-)  So to be clear, I meant that I understood your
> config file.
>
> Btw, it has \n\r, so it's LFCR and not CRLF as it should be on Windows
> (ref: de.wikipedia).  I checked both my understanding of CR/LF as well
> as used $grep -PU '$\n\r' again.
>
> See also http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeilenumbruch (german, the en
> version doesn't have the table).  So either:
> 1)  You encoded for whatever reason the file with CR and LF swapped

Nobody encoded the file in a special manner. It just happens to be a
file used on windows, by a windows program, and as such should stay in
CR/LF format. I am not sure why you say LF and CR are swapped, I don't
see it myself, and vim tells me it is in DOS (e.g. CR/LF) format.

> 2)  It doesn't matter what the order is

It does matter. Although text editors are generally smart about line
endings, other windows softwares are not.

cheers,

David