[Numpy-discussion] whitespace in git repo

Darren Dale dsdale24@gmail....
Thu Oct 21 11:06:15 CDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 9:26 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Friedrich Romstedt
> <friedrichromstedt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2010/10/21 David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>:

>>> Yes, the file has always used CRLF, and needs to stay that way.
>>
>> I see, misunderstanding, for me I used "made it" in the sense
>> "succeeded in" :-)  So to be clear, I meant that I understood your
>> config file.
>>
>> Btw, it has \n\r, so it's LFCR and not CRLF as it should be on Windows
>> (ref: de.wikipedia).  I checked both my understanding of CR/LF as well
>> as used $grep -PU '$\n\r' again.
>>
>> See also http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeilenumbruch (german, the en
>> version doesn't have the table).  So either:
>> 1)  You encoded for whatever reason the file with CR and LF swapped
>
> Nobody encoded the file in a special manner. It just happens to be a
> file used on windows, by a windows program, and as such should stay in
> CR/LF format. I am not sure why you say LF and CR are swapped, I don't
> see it myself, and vim tells me it is in DOS (e.g. CR/LF) format.
>
>> 2)  It doesn't matter what the order is
>
> It does matter. Although text editors are generally smart about line
> endings, other windows softwares are not.

I filed a new pull request, http://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/7 .
This should enforce LF on all text files, with the current exception
of the nsi.in file, which is CRLF. The svgs have been converted to LF.
Additional, confusing reading can be found at
http://help.github.com/dealing-with-lineendings/ ,
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-config.html, and
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitattributes.html .

Darren