[Numpy-discussion] whitespace in git repo

Darren Dale dsdale24@gmail....
Thu Oct 21 17:37:34 CDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Friedrich Romstedt
<friedrichromstedt@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/10/21 Darren Dale <dsdale24@gmail.com>:
>> I filed a new pull request, http://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/7 .
>> This should enforce LF on all text files, with the current exception
>> of the nsi.in file, which is CRLF. The svgs have been converted to LF.
>> Additional, confusing reading can be found at
>> http://help.github.com/dealing-with-lineendings/ ,
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-config.html, and
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitattributes.html .
>
> Hm, I like you pull request more than my own branch, but I think your
> conclusions might be incorrect.
>
> ``* text=auto`` forces git to normalise *all* text files, including
> the .nsi.in file, to LF *in the repo only*.  But it says nothing about
> how to set eol in the working dir.
>
> ``[...].nsi.in eol=crlf`` forces git to check-out the .nsi.in file with CRLF.

I see. Thank you for clarifying. It probably is not necessary then to
have the exception for the nsi.in file, since git will create files
with CRLF eols in the working directory on windows by default. The
eols in the working directory can be controlled by the core.eol
setting, which defaults to "native". But unless David C gives his
blessing, I will leave the pull request as is. Pretty confusing.

Darren