[Numpy-discussion] IEEE 754-2008 decimal floating point support

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Sep 8 10:34:41 CDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:26, Michael Gilbert
<michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any plans to add support for decimal floating point
> arithmetic, as defined in the 2008 revision of the IEEE 754 standard
> [0], in numpy?

No, there are no plans. Although IEEE 754-2008 defines the format and
semantics of such numbers, they do not provide an implementation. If
someone wishes to make a C implementation and integrate that into
numpy as a new dtype, I think that would be welcome.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco