[Numpy-discussion] IEEE 754-2008 decimal floating point support

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Wed Sep 8 10:56:36 CDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 12:43 AM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Michael Gilbert
> <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are there any plans to add support for decimal floating point
>> arithmetic, as defined in the 2008 revision of the IEEE 754 standard
>> [0], in numpy?
>>

> Not at the moment. There is currently no hardware

Strictly speaking, there is hardware support on some high end hardware
(power6, but I have no idea how this is available through common
languages, like C or Fortran. I guess this would be compiler specific.

A software implementation would be much more interesting at this
stage, as I guess it will takes years before support comes to
commodity CPUs.

cheers,

David