[Numpy-discussion] interrupting large matrix operations

Tom K. tpk@kraussfamily....
Fri Sep 10 07:05:01 CDT 2010

OK, I know it's my problem if I try to form a 15000x15000 array and take the
cosine of each element, but the result is that my python session completely
hangs - that is, the operation is not interruptible.

t=np.arange(15360)/15.36e6
t.shape=(-1,1)
X=np.cos(2*np.pi*750*(t-t.T))
<hangs indefinitely>

I'd like to hit "control-c" and get out of this hung state.

What would it take to support this?

(I'm running ancient numpy and python at work, so if this is already
supported in later versions, my apologies)

- Tom K.