[Numpy-discussion] common significant diigits

Benjamin Root ben.root@ou....
Wed Sep 15 14:34:42 CDT 2010

Hello,

I am trying to solve a problem in matplotlib where I would have an array of
floating point numbers and I want to quickly determine what is the closest
common offset to a power of 10.  In other words, if given:

[12373.43, 12375.89, 12370.18],

I would want returned something like either 12370.0, or the lowest common
order of magnitude (in this case, 10).

Is there some sort of neat math/numpy trick to figure this out?  I already
have a brute-force method with a while loop, but I am looking for something
a little bit more elegant.

Thanks,
Ben Root