[Numpy-discussion] Removing numpy numpy-1.1.0 in Python 2.5

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview@sbcglobal....
Wed Sep 22 13:23:02 CDT 2010

On 9/22/2010 10:28 AM, Bruce Southey wrote:

> On my old Windows XP (service pack 2!) running Python 2.5.2, running
> 'numpy-1.1.0-win32-superpack-python2.5.exe' registers numpy (Python 2.5
> numpy-1.1.0).
>
> So you really have to remove numpy from the registry - usually via the
> 'Add/Remove programs'  and then install the new version. (There is
> probably some script that can do that like these that I have zero clue
> if these will work that I got from a google search
> http://mcpmag.com/articles/2005/05/09/automated-uninstall.aspx,
> http://www.ehow.com/how_5185226_uninstall-software-vb-script.html)
>
> Failing that it gets rather dangerous :
>
> Just install 'numpy-1.2.0-win32-superpack-python2.5.exe' without
> removing the previous version. But that WILL leave a minefield of
> 'orphan' files. So if you delete the numpy egg file and directory in
> 'C:\Python2.5\Lib\site-packages\', numpy entry is still in the registry
> (appears in 'Add/Remove programs'). Then you can then install
> 'numpy-1.2.0-win32-superpack-python2.5.exe' and get a new numpy entry in
> the registry.  There may be still traces of numpy in the registry but
> probably not sufficient to create major problems.
>
> Bruce

Interesting. As it turns out, on XP numpy is in Add/Remove, so it can be
removed there.  Should be a problem.

             Want to lose weight? Move to the equator. You'll weigh
             about 0.1% less than at the poles. Centrifugal force
             is directed opposite gravity there--zero at the poles.
                             -- WTW

                     Web Page:<www.speckledwithstars.net/>