[Numpy-discussion] [ANN] Cython 0.15

Sebastian Haase seb.haase@gmail....
Mon Aug 8 03:21:57 CDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 11:24 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<d.s.seljebotn@astro.uio.no> wrote:
> On 08/07/2011 10:31 PM, Paul Anton Letnes wrote:
>> Looks like you have done some great work! I've been using f2py in the past, but I always liked the idea of cython - gradually wrapping more and more code as the need arises. I read somewhere that fortran wrapping with cython was coming - dare I ask what the status on this is? Is it a goal for cython to support easy fortran wrapping at all?
>
> Fwrap scans Fortran sources and generate a Cython wrapper around a
> iso_c_binding Fortran 2003 wrapper around your Fortran code. Which is a
> bit more portable than f2py in theory, although it's pretty much the
> same in practice currently.
>
> It doesn't work for all Fortran code, but I think it works for what f2py
> does and then some more.
>
> The big difference is that it allows you to sidestep Python boxing of
> arguments when calling from Cython.
>
> In addition to the main website (use Google) there's been quite a lot
> more work on it my Github:
>
> https://github.com/dagss/fwrap
>
> that's not released. I'd like to continue on Fwrap but there's always
> 2-3 items higher on the priority list. I can't tell you yet whether the
> project will survive.
>
> But anyway, this is the way Fortran+Cython is supported.
>
> Dag Sverre

Hi,
Not to hijack this thread ....
First, also my congratulations to making such great progress with such
a great project !

a)  Is there anything that would parse a C/C++ header file and
generate Cython wrapper code for it ?

b) What is the status of supporting multi-type Cython functions -- ala
C++ templates ?
This would be one of my top ranked favorites, since I like writing
simple algorithms (like computing certain statistics over a numpy
array), and have this support all of e.g. unit8, int32, unit16,
float32 and float64...   (I'm using some macro-enhanced SWIG for this
so far)

Thanks,
Sebastian Haase