[Numpy-discussion] Bug or feature?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Aug 23 15:13:04 CDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:28 PM, Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> wrote:
> Thanks, that sounds reasonable. But is this role of tuples in the
> creation of structured arrays documented anywhere? The documentation
> on structured arrays concentrates on specifying the dtype. All I could
> find about array construction is a few examples.

Note from the peanut gallery: this is one area of the docs that could really use a separate

.. warning::

(or at least .. note::) with the info Travis gave, because it's not obvious at all, and deciphering the resulting error message is pretty tricky if you've never seen it before.  I know it's bitten me more than once and I always scratch my head for a few minutes...

It just occurred to me that it would be very cool to have in the docs a few standalone HowTo documents on selected topics.  Over the years I've found  some of the Python howtos extremely useful, and I was very happy when I saw they started including them in the bundled docs.  They complement very nicely the reference/api and explain certain key topics in a more tutorial fashion.

Off the top of my head, here are a few ideas for enterprising souls to make a very useful contribution with a howto on each of these topics:

- dtype/structured arrays and record arrays
- fancy indexing, broadcasting, lib.index_tricks (if Anne could find the time to write this one, we'd be eternally grateful)
- ctypes and cython for C interfacing and optimization
- missing data/masked arrays (including the new goodies).

These could be written by a small team, perhaps pairing an experienced numpy contributor with a new member who can provide the balance of perspective of a newcomer (very important in tutorial documentation) and simultaneously gain in-depth experience with important topics.

OK, back to the comfort of my chair up here in the gallery...

Cheers,