[Numpy-discussion] Numpy performance boost

Chris.Barker Chris.Barker@noaa....
Wed Aug 31 11:08:23 CDT 2011

On 8/31/11 3:58 AM, Dieter Weber wrote:
> just wanted to show an example of how python3 + numpy compares with just
> python3 and many other languages and language implementations:
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/performance.php?test=mandelbrot#about

hmmm - it would be interesting to see what PyPy does with this.

Also Cython -- can you call that another language? Done right, it should
be in the C ballpark.

> The python3 program using numpy is #6 and you find it with the
> "interesting alternative" programs on the bottom because it was
> disqualified for doing things differently.

I'm not sure what they mean by "differently" -- but if it's because
numpy is not a standard part of the language -- who cares.

It's too bad, though -- a lot of people do discount numpy for that
reason, but as far as I'm concerned, doing numerics without numpy is
like doing text processing without the string class (type?).

Python would be essentially useless if string were implemented as lists
or tuples of characters, and everything had to loop through them. So why
isn't an ndarray considered a first class citizen in python?

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov