[Numpy-discussion] using loadtxt() for given number of rows?

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon Feb 14 10:28:34 CST 2011

Hi Robert

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Robert Cimrman <cimrman3@ntc.zcu.cz> wrote:
> It seems to me, that an additional parameter to loadtxt(), say "nrows" or
> "numrows", would do the job, so that the function does not try reading the
> entire file. Another possibility would be to raise an exception as it
> is now, but also to return the data succesfully read so far.

You can always read chunks of the file into StringIO objects, and pass
those into loadtxt.  I think your request makes sense though, given
that a person can already skip lines at the top of the file.

Regards
Stéfan