[Numpy-discussion] fixing up datetime

Wed Jun 1 16:01:09 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 10:05 PM, Mark Wiebe <mwwiebe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> So I'm doing a summer internship at Enthought, and the first thing they
> asked me to look into is finishing the datetime type in numpy. It turns out
> that the estimates of how complete the type was weren't accurate, and to
> support what the NEP describes required generalizing the ufunc type
> resolution system. I also found that the date/time parsing code (based on
> mxDateTime) was not robust, producing something for almost any arbitrary
> garbage input. I've replaced much of the broken code and implemented a lot
> of the functionality, and thought this might be a good point to do a pull
> request on what I've got and get feedback on the issues I've run into.
>
> * The existing datetime-related API is probably not useful, and in fact
> those functions aren't used internally anymore. Is it reasonable to remove
> the functions, or do we just deprecate them?

If the existing API is really not useful (which requires some
discussion/review I guess) then I think it would be good to announce that on
the mailing list and throw it out ASAP. The API can't have many users yet,
since it has only just been released (again), so the sooner it's gone the
better. I know normal policy would be to deprecate first, but I don't really
see the point.

And after the removal of datetime from 1.4.1 and now this, I'd be in favor
of putting a large "experimental" sticker over the whole thing until further
notice.

Ralf