[Numpy-discussion] Are the characters in numpy strings signed or unsigned?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Jun 7 13:57:14 CDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 13:53, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> Because the C standard allows char to be either signed or unsigned and this
> affects sort order I believe we should pick one or the other for sorting.
> Thoughts?

Unsigned for (at least notional) compatibility with the unicode dtype.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco