[Numpy-discussion] merging datetime progress

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Wed Jun 8 00:05:21 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Mark Wiebe <mwwiebe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I went ahead and did the merge today as I said I wanted to, that pull
>> request is some further development for someone to code-review if they have
>> time.
>
> I'm curious as to why there was a need to push ahead with the merge
> right away, without giving the original pull request more time for
> feedback?  If I'm not mistaken, the big merge was this PR:
>
> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/83
>
> and it was just opened a few days ago, containing a massive amount of
> work, and so far had only received some feedback from charris,
> explicitly requesting a little more breakdown to make digesting it
> easier.
>
> I realize that I'm not really an active numpy contributor in any
> significant way, and I see that you've put a ton of work into this,
> including a very detailed and impressive discussion on the list on
> with multiple people.  So my opinion is just that of a user, not
> really a core numpy developer.

+1. There is no need to push this, and giving only a few hours for a
review is not realistic (if only because of time differences around
the globe).

I would advise to revert that merge, and make sure the original branch
got proper review. Giving a few days for a change involving > 10000
lines of code seems quite reasonable to me,

cheers,

David