[Numpy-discussion] How to avoid extra copying when forming an array from an iterator

srean srean.list@gmail....
Fri Jun 24 02:35:15 CDT 2011

Hi,

I have a iterator that yields a complex object. I want to make an array out
of a numerical attribute that the yielded object possesses and that too very
efficiently.

My initial plan was to keep writing the numbers to a StringIO object and
when done generate the numpy array using StringIO's buffer. But fromstring()
method fails on the StringIO object, so does fromfile() or using the
StringIO object as the initializer of an array object.

After some digging I ran in to this ticket htt
projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1634 that has been assigned a low priority.

Is there some other way to achieve what I am trying ? Efficiency is
important because potentially millions of objects would be yielded.

-- srean