Fri Jun 24 23:42:15 CDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs@pobox.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> With a masked array, it is "for free".  Why re-invent the wheel?  It has
> >> already been done for me.
> >
> > But it's not for free at all. It's an additional concept that has to
> > be maintained, documented, and learned (with the last cost, which is
> > multiplied by the number of users, being by far the greatest). It's
> > not reinventing the wheel, it's saying hey, I have wheels and axles,
> > but what I really need the library to provide is a wheel+axle
> > assembly!
>
> You're communicating my argument better than I am.

> >> This is the danger, and which is why I advocate retaining the
> MaskedArray
> >> type that would provide the high-level "intelligent" operations,
> meanwhile
> >> having in the core the basic data structures for  pairing a mask with an
> >> array, and to recognize a special np.NA value that would act upon the
> mask
> >> rather than the underlying data.  Users would get very basic
> functionality,
> >> while the MaskedArray would continue to provide the interface that we
> are
> >> used to.
> >
> > The interface as described is quite different... in particular, all
> > aggregate operations would change their behavior.

> >> What you are advocating is similar to the "tried-n-true" coding practice
> of
> >> Matlab users of using NaNs.  You will hear from Matlab programmers about
> how
> >> it is the greatest idea since sliced bread (and I was one of them).
> Then I
> >> was introduced to Numpy, and I while I do sometimes still do the NaN
> >> approach, I realized that the masked array is a "better" way.
> >
> > Hey, no need to go around calling people Matlab programmers, you might
> > hurt someone's feelings.
> >
> > But seriously, my argument is that every abstraction and new concept
> > has a cost, and I'm dubious that the full masked array abstraction
> > carries its weight and justifies this cost, because it's highly
> > redundant with existing abstractions. That has nothing to do with how
> > tried-and-true anything is.
>
> +1. I think I will personally only be happy if "masked array" can be
> implemented while incurring near-zero cost from the end user
> perspective. If what we end up with is a faster implementation of
> numpy.ma in C I'm probably going to keep on using NaN... That's why
> I'm entirely insistent that whatever design be dogfooded on non-expert
> users. If it's very much harder / trickier / nuanced than R, you will
> have failed.

This sounds unduly pessimistic to me. It's one thing to suggest different
approaches, another to cry doom and threaten to go eat worms. And all before
the code is written, benchmarks run, or trial made of the usefulness of the
approach. Let us see how things look as they get worked out. Mark has a good
track record for innovative tools and I'm rather curious myself to see what
the result is.

Chuck