Mark Wiebe mwwiebe@gmail....
Sat Jun 25 15:16:39 CDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 7:00 AM, Gael Varoquaux <
gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 01:02:07AM +0100, Matthew Brett wrote:
> > I'm personally worried that the memory overhead of array.masks will
> > make many of us tend to avoid them.  I work with images that can
> > easily get large enough that I would not want an array-items size byte
> > array added to my storage.
>
> I work with the same kind of data ( :D ).
>
> The way we manipulate our data, in my lab, is, to represent 3D data with
> a mask to use a 1D array and a corresponding 3D mask. It reduces the
> memory footprint, to the cost of loosing the 3D shape of the data.
>
> I am raising this because it is an option that has not been suggested so
> far. I am not saying that it should be the option used to implement mask
> arrays, I am just saying that there are many different ways of doing it,
> and I don't think that there is a one-size-fits-all solution.
>
> I tend to feel like Wes: good building block to easily implement our own
> solutions is what we want.

This is why I'm also proposing to add a 'mask=' parameter to ufuncs, for
example, to expose the implementation details of the masked array system to
people who need masks but need them to be a bit different. There may be
other places this kind of thing would slip in as well.

-Mark