[Numpy-discussion] ragged array implimentation

Mon Mar 7 11:28:11 CST 2011

Hi folks,

I'm setting out to write some code to access and work with ragged arrays
stored in netcdf files. It dawned on me that ragged arrays are not all
that uncommon, so I'm wondering if any of you have any code you've
developed that I could learn-from borrow from, etc.

note that when I say a "ragged array", I mean a set of data where the
each row could be a different arbitrary length:

1, 2, 3, 4
5, 6
7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
13, 14, 15

In my case, these will only be 2-d, though I suppose one could have a
n-d version where the last dimension was ragged (or any dimension, I
suppose, though I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around what that
would look like...

I'm not getting more specific about what I think the API should look
like -- that is part of what I'm looking for suggestions, previous
implementations, etc for.

Is there any "standard" way to work with such data?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov