[Numpy-discussion] RFC: Detecting array changes (NumPy 2.0?)

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn@astro.uio...
Fri Mar 11 14:06:27 CST 2011

 On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 19:37:42 +0000 (UTC), Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi>
 wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:47:58 -0700, Charles R Harris wrote:
> [clip]
>> What about views? Wouldn't it be easier to write another object
>> wrapping
>> an ndarray?
>
> I think the buffer interfaces and all other various ways Numpy
> provides
> exports for arrays make keeping tabs on modification impossible to do
> completely reliably.

 Not to mention all the pain of making sure the arrays are wrapped and
 stay wrapped in the first place. In particular in combination with other
 array wrappers.

 I wasn't saying this is absolutely needed, just that it'd be a really
 convenient feature helpful for caching. Sometimes, introducing fast
 caching this way can remove a lot of logic from the code. Introducing a
 Python-space visible wrapper object kind of defeats the purpose for me.

 Dag Sverre