[Numpy-discussion] Segfault with python 3.2 structured array non-existent field

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Tue Mar 15 12:12:50 CDT 2011

Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:06:09 -0700, Matthew Brett wrote:
> Sorry to ask, and I ask partly because I'm in the middle of a py3k port,
> but is this the right fix to this problem?  I was confused by the
> presence of the old PyString_AsString function.

It's not a correct fix. The original code seems also wrong ("index" can
either be Unicode or Bytes/String object), and will probably bomb when
indexing with Unicode strings on Python 2. The right thing to do is to
make it show the repr of the "index" object.

The PyString_AsString is present, as it's mapped on Py3 to
PyBytes_AsString by "npy_3kcompat.h".

	Pauli