[Numpy-discussion] Is this a bug in repr ?

Mark Sienkiewicz sienkiew@stsci....
Tue Mar 15 13:10:41 CDT 2011

Robert Kern wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 12:39, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Yes, I think it is a bug. IIRC, it also shows up for object arrays.
>>

> It's extremely long-standing, documented, intentional behavior dating
> back to Numeric.
>
> [~]
> |1> import Numeric
>
> [~]
> |2> a = Numeric.array( [  16.50698631688883822 ] )
>
> [~]
> |3> print repr(a)
> array([ 16.50698632])
>

> You can disagree with the feature, but it's not a bug.

So it is needed to maintain backward compatibility?  (Still?)

In that case, would you agree that it is a bug for
assert_array_almost_equal to use repr() to display the arrays, since it
is printing identical values and saying they are different?  Or is there
also a reason to do that?