[Numpy-discussion] Fortran was dead ... [was Re:rewriting NumPy code in C or C++ or similar]

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn@astro.uio...
Thu Mar 17 09:49:48 CDT 2011

On 03/17/2011 03:23 PM, Yung-Yu Chen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 17:46, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
> <d.s.seljebotn@astro.uio.no <mailto:d.s.seljebotn@astro.uio.no>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/16/2011 10:14 PM, william ratcliff wrote:
>     > Related to this, what is the status of fwrap?  Can it be used with
>     > fortran 95/2003 language features?  There is a rather large code
>     > crystallographic codebase (fullprof) that is written in fortran 77
>     > that the author has been porting to fortran 95/2003 and actually
>     using
>     > modules for.  I'd like to write python bindings for it to make
>     it more
>     > scriptable...
>
>     Fwrap 0.1.1 is out; it supports a subset of Fortran 95/2003, biggest
>     limitation being modules not being present.
>
>     Since then there's been quite a few unreleased improvements (like
>     a much
>     better and more flexible build based on waf instead of distutils).
>

> Does Fwrap support SCons?  I use SCons everywhere :)

The current focus is on waf only. But "support" can mean a lot.

Fwrap really simply generate .h, .f90 and .pyx files (the latter being
Cython sources, which Cython use to generate .c sources). Oh, and
there's also a small probe script that tries to probe whether a Fortran
"real*8" really is a iso_c_binding c_double, and generates some headers.

So when I say we "support" waf, what is meant is we ship a default build
system which makes it convenient to build the results of using Fwrap
and/or invoke Fwrap on the fly.

So supporting scons is certainly a possibility. Last time I checked the
Fortran tools in waf were significantly better though (as a result of
Kurt's Fwrap work, I believe).

Myself I'll be migrating a project from scons to waf any day now. Since
the "numscons" effort died/failed it just seems more promising for
Python packaging (see Bento).

Dag Sverre