[Numpy-discussion] Numpy: controlling ATLAS multithreading

Mark Dixon m.c.dixon@leeds.ac...
Wed Mar 23 04:11:54 CDT 2011

Hi,

I've built Numpy 1.5.1 against a copy of ATLAS 3.8.3 and LAPACK 3.3.0,
it's passing all tests and is looking good. Great.

I note that Numpy preferentially links against the multi-threaded ATLAS
libraries; however, we sometimes want to constrain a process to a single
thread, and sometimes not. I see that ATLAS doesn't have the capability of
setting the maximum number of threads used with, say, an environment
variable.

So, here comes the long-shot question:

Does Numpy have the capability to choose between the single-threaded and
multi-threaded ATLAS libraries at runtime? Or do I need to make this
decision at build time?

Thanks,

Mark