[Numpy-discussion] loadtxt/savetxt tickets

Paul Anton Letnes paul.anton.letnes@gmail....
Sat Mar 26 07:11:46 CDT 2011

Hi!

I have had a look at the list of numpy.loadtxt tickets. I have never contributed to numpy before, so I may be doing stupid things - don't be afraid to let me know!

My opinions are my own, and in detail, they are:
1752:
    I attach a possible patch. FWIW, I agree with the request. The patch is written to be compatible with the fix in ticket #1562, but I did not test that yet.
1731:
    This seems like a rather trivial feature enhancement. I attach a possible patch.
1616:
    The suggested patch seems reasonable to me, but I do not have a full list of what objects loadtxt supports today as opposed to what this patch will support.
1562:
    I attach a possible patch. This could also be the default behavior to my mind, since the function caller can simply call numpy.squeeze if needed. Changing default behavior would probably break old code, however.
1458:
    The fix suggested in the ticket seems reasonable, but I have never used record arrays, so I am not sure  of this.
1445:
    Adding this functionality could break old code, as some old datafiles may have empty lines which are now simply ignored. I do not think the feature is a good idea. It could rather be implemented as a separate function.
1107:
    I do not see the need for this enhancement. In my eyes, the usecols kwarg does this and more. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here.
1071:
	It is not clear to me whether loadtxt is supposed to support missing values in the fashion indicated in the ticket.
1163:
1565:
    These tickets seem to have the same origin of the problem. I attach one possible patch. The previously suggested patches that I've seen will not correctly convert floats to ints, which I believe my patch will.

I hope you find this useful! Is there some way of submitting the patches for review in a more convenient fashion than e-mail?

Cheers,
Paul.