[Numpy-discussion] 1.6.0b1 installs stuff in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/doc

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Mar 31 13:52:40 CDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 13:39, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> That is indeed wrong. It's caused by the following in setup.py:
>>>
>>>    # we want these files also in binaries/installed files, so it belongs here
>>>    # instead of in Manifest.in
>>>    config.add_data_files(('doc/cython/'),
>>>                          ('doc/pyrex/'),
>>>                          ('doc/swig/'))
>>>
>>> Maybe those three dirs should be moved from doc/ to numpy/doc/ in the
>>> source tree?
>>
>> It's not clear to me how they were included in the Windows .exe
>> installer originally (the original ticket that led to this
>> change[1088]). I don't think it was through the generic setup.py. The
>> proper fix would probably be something specific to each binary
>> installer.
>>
>> [1088] http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1088
>
> I'm not sure how this was done at first (maybe someone remembers?), it
> kind of hard to search for that in the history. But something specific
> for each way of installing sounds fragile. The first question to be
> answered is where these files should be installed to. The current
> location is obviously wrong.

Well, the answer is different for each platform. That's why it ought
to be up to each binary installer.

> If it is under numpy/doc/swig/ etc. then moving them there in the
> source tree itself seems logical. Those dirs are not used to build the
> user and reference guides, so there's no need for them to stay where
> they are.

Linux distributions start to complain when data files (especially
documentation data files not used at runtime) are placed into the
Python packages. I would argue that it's the wrong place for them on
*any* platform.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."