[Numpy-discussion] in the NA discussion, what can we agree on?

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Fri Nov 4 17:12:26 CDT 2011

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
>> If classified this way, behaviour of items in np.ma arrays is different
>> in different operations, but seems roughly PdX, where X stands for
>> returning a masked value with the first argument as the payload in
>> binary ops if either argument is masked.
>
> No -- np.ma implements the assignment semantics I described above, not
> "d" semantics. Trimming some output for readability:

Oops, I see we cross-posted :-). So never-mind that part of my email...

Okay, I'm going to follow my own suggestion now and stop talking about
these thorny details until I know whether we can simplify the
discussion to only considering schemes that are consistent with the
rules I posted about here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/46760

-- Nathaniel