[Numpy-discussion] what is the point of dx for np.gradient()?

Benjamin Root ben.root@ou....
Sat Nov 5 11:37:06 CDT 2011

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root@ou.edu> wrote:

> For np.gradient(), one can specify a sample distance for each axis to
> apply to the gradient.  But, all this does is just divides the gradient by
> the sample distance.  I could easily do that myself with the output from
> gradient.  Wouldn't it be more valuable to be able to specify the width of
> the central difference (or is there another function that does that)?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben Root

Nevermind, I should have realized the difficulty in coordinating the
various divisions when dealing with multiple dimensions.

My other question remains, though.  Is there a function somewhere that
allows me to perform central differences of varying widths.  Preferably
something that works with masks?

Thanks,
Ben Root