[Numpy-discussion] Cross-Compiling Numpy for NAO

Carlos Neves clusher2@yahoo.com...
Mon Nov 7 12:16:04 CST 2011

Hello everyone,

I am a robotics student and I have used numpy to develop a controller
for a humanoid robot. Now I am trying to implement the same controller
to a different robot, NAO - http://www.aldebaran-robotics.com/
This robot has a Linux based OS with Python 2.6.4. Since the goal is to
implement the controller with the least changes possible and make sure
the robot remains autonomous, it would be great to install numpy in it.
The problem is that it is not possible to build numpy in the system and
I was adviced to use the cross-compilation toolchain provided by
Aldebaran. However, all their tutorials assume I can build the libraries
I need with cmake, which isn't the case.

So, is it possible to cross-compile numpy, given a cross-toolchain, with
not much effort? The other option is to use openCV, which comes with the
NAO OS, but it require quite a few changes in the program... I tried
searching the archives, but was unable to find any relevant post.

I hope you can help me!
Thank you,
Carlos Neves