[Numpy-discussion] neighborhood iterator speed

Nadav Horesh nadavh@visionsense....
Mon Oct 24 14:01:46 CDT 2011

I found the 2d iterator definition active in numpy 1.6.1. I'll test it.

  Nadav

From: numpy-discussion-bounces@scipy.org [numpy-discussion-bounces@scipy.org] On Behalf Of David Cournapeau [cournape@gmail.com]
Sent: 24 October 2011 16:04
To: Discussion of Numerical Python
Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] neighborhood iterator speed

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Nadav Horesh <nadavh@visionsense.com> wrote:
> * I'll try to implement the 2D iterator as far as far as my programming expertise goes. It might take few days.

I am pretty sure the code is in the history, if you are patient enough
to look for it in git history. I can't remember why I removed it
(maybe because it was not faster ?).

> * There is a risk in providing a buffer pointer, and for my (and probably most) use cases it is better for the iterator constructor to provide it. I was thinking about the possibility to give the iterator a shared memory pointer, to open a door for multiprocessing. Maybe it is better instead to provide a contiguous ndarray object to enable a sanity check.

One could ask for an optional buffer (if NULL -> auto-allocation). But
I would need a more detailed explanation about what you are trying to
do to warrant changing the API here.

cheers,

David